The Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) is designed to adjust payment based on evidence-based and practice-specific quality data. Providers show they offer high quality, efficient care supported by technology by reporting information in quality, improvement practices, advancing care information, and cost. MIPS is one of the two tracks of the Quality Payment Program, which implements provisions of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA). Visit qpp.cms.gov to understand program basics, including submission timelines, and how to participate.
HBMA's volunteer members formed a MIPS Committee in 2016 and 2017 which identified these resources for MIPS information and reporting.
- MIPS Overview
This MIPS summary is linked with the CMS Quality Payment Program details.
- MIPS PowerPoint
This publication is a general summary that explains certain aspects of the Medicare Program, but is not a legal document. The official Medicare Program provisions are contained in the relevant laws, regulations, and rulings. Medicare policy changes frequently, and links to the source documents have been provided within the document for your reference.
- MIPS Quick Start Guide
This quick guide provides a list of what you'll need to know now to send in your performance data by March 2018.
- MIPS Measures:
In addition to the CMS website, many specialty colleges have vast specialty specific tools, education, and resources. For those opting to report using a Qualified Clinical Data Registry (QCDR), there are also specialty reporting options. Please see this article from the MIPS Committee and also the CMS website for a current listing of qualified QCDRs.
- Resources from the American College of Radiology (ACR)
- MACRA Resources: Understanding MIPS and APMs
View this wide selection of radiology specific MACRA/MIPS tools and resources.
- MIPS Qualified Clinical Data Registry for Radiology
The ACR National Radiology Data Registry (NRDR™) has been approved as a Qualified Clinical Data Registry (QCDR) for the CMS Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) for 2017.
- Resources from Anesthesia Quality Institute (AQI) and the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA)
View this wide selection of anesthesiology specific MACRA/MIPS tools and resources.
- MIPS Qualified Clinical Data Registry for Anesthesiology
ASA has created this helpful booklet which includes measure specifications for MIPS measures reportable via the ASA QR and QCDR.
- Resources from the College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- MACRA-Readiness Checklist for Pathologists
Use this checklist to optimize your performance in Medicare’s Quality Payment Program.
- MIPS Qualified Clinical Data Registry for Pathology
The Pathologists Quality Registry is powered by FIGmd*, a leading provider of clinical data registries and is the first pathologist-specific qualified clinical data registry to earn qualified clinical data registry (QCDR) status from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
MaxIntel MIPS Estimator Tool:
If you are looking for a way to better understand how the MACRA Final Rule will affect your clients and their success with the MIPS performance bonuses, the MaxIntel MIPS Estimator may be the tool for you. HBMA has partnered with PracticeMax to provide this tool, free of charge, to all HBMA members.
- HBMA Members receive free access to this tool. To access the tool, log into your HBMA Member account and visit www.hbma.org/mips.
- Non-members may purchase access to the tool through the HBMA Store.
HBMA Member Value Program (MVP) Resources from Mingle Analytics:
- FAQs About MIPS, MACRA, and APMs
This site provides a summary and FAQs on MIPS, MACRA, and APMs.
- Health Care Payment Learning and Action Network (HCP LAN) Alternative Payment Model (APM) Framework White Paper
This white paper puts forward an alternative payment model (APM) framework that can be used to track progress on payment reform along a path that supports person-centered care.
- American Hospital Association (AHA) MACRA Resources