You belong with HBMA.
As a non-profit, member-led trade association, HBMA represents over 40,000 employees at nearly 500 revenue cycle management firms and professional billing departments. Founded in 1993, HBMA fosters personal development, advocates on the behalf of the medical billing profession, and promotes cooperation through a wide range of business resources, educational events, networking opportunities, certification programs, and enforcement of the Medical Biller’s Code of Ethics.
HBMA Core Values
HBMA values the highest level of professionalism, integrity and compliant business practices in every aspect of our industry. We expect transparency and accountability from our leaders while ensuring the continued growth of the Association by providing valuable benefits and resources to our members and other industry stakeholders.
To be an invaluable and influential resource for healthcare revenue cycle and business management services.
HBMA provides education, advocacy, collaboration and certification for healthcare billing professionals and providers engaged in the business and technology of healthcare revenue cycle management.
HBMA Member Benefits
Connect With Other HBMA Members
HBMA Members are our best resource! All of HBMA's events and services work together to keep you in touch with healthcare business management professionals just like you.
- HBMA Members have access to our members-only message boards 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! The HBMA Message boards are one of the most valuable resources we have; ask anything from general questions regarding coding, research and billing, to the most specific inquiries related to the field. Our industry-expert members waste no time in assisting you with their invaluable experience and can point you in the direction of others who have assisted on similar topics in the past as well. Need to keep discretion? The option to post anonymously is available for sensitive topics/questions at all times.
- HBMA Members are able to access lists of members and appear on a list of medical billers one of several ways:
1. Our Biller Search Tool allows you to search by company name, first or last name, location, specialty, and by the Certified Healthcare Buisiness Management Exuctive (CHBME) status. This option provides you with immediate results to your search comprised of RCM or PBD Company members.
2. The RFI Tool allows a practice to provide information about their practice and the tool will match them to an HBMA member or members who align with the profile. This tool will request information about specialties, number of providers, how billing functions are currently provided, monthly claims, and more. Once the profile is completed, our system will calculate matches based on the practice's answers. HBMA members that match will have an opportunity to reach out to the practice directly or to have them contact you.
3. The Membership Directory is comprised of all members of HBMA.
- HBMA's Vendor Marketplace is a listing of companies that have developed products and services HBMA Members need to better serve their clients and conduct their business. Members can access a full list of vendor members or search for specific information, such as name, location, or products and services.
Every healthcare revenue cycle management professional knows that government actions, either through legislation on Capitol Hill or regulatory actions taken by the executive branch agencies have major impacts on their company's operations and on their bottom line.
- HBMA provides members with a monthly Washington Report so you are always up to date on what's happening. HBMA's team of government relations professionals allow you to be the first to receive all HBMA Legislative & Regulatory alerts and any up-to-the minute information straight from The Hill that impacts our industry, allowing you to make key decisions in real time.
- HBMA provides Advocacy for our members by actively commenting on or explaining HBMA's position on such regulatory activity through HBMA's government affairs office and offering HBMA expertise and research to regulatory agencies as needed.
Education and Training
HBMA provides a variety of education to meet the needs of our members. From executive level to introductory, live events and online options, there is something for everyone!
- HBMA members receive discounts on all education and events sponsored by HBMA. Members may even receive free education, just for being a member!
- HBMA sponsors several in person meetings and conferences each year. Our annual Healthcare Revenue Cycle Conference in fall, a compliance or specialty meeting in winter or spring, and the Owners and Managers Meeting in summer. These events bring you the latest on healthcare industry trends, billing and practice management business strategies, government updates and more. When you attend you will have access to the newest products and services available from industry vendors in our exhibit hall, and you will enjoy countless chances to network with other top healthcare revenue cycle management company executives.
- HBMA's robust webinar program provides accessible education to all levels of staff and on a variety of related subjects. Webinar recordings are available once the program completes for review and purchase via our On Demand store.
- HBMA provides members with two distinguished programs to gain a competitive edge and improve marketability:
- Certification Program
HBMA oversees the Certified Healthcare Business Management Executive (CHBME) program which is aimed at demonstrating to your peers, as well as your current and prospective clients, that you are dedicated to continuing professional education in this fast-changing and challenging industry. This rigorous program not only enhances the industry's image within the wider healthcare community, but it also offers HBMA members an additional way to differentiate themselves from competitors, boosting their edge in the field.
- Compliance Accreditation Program
Healthcare Business Management Association (HBMA) has developed the HBMA Compliance Accreditation Program for revenue cycle management (RCM) companies, medical practice management organizations and healthcare software vendors. This program establishes standards to help safeguard patients’ protected health information (PHI) by complying with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and ensure compliance with Office of Inspector General (OIG) standards.
HBMA is committed to providing our members with the most up to date information on different facets of the RCM industry via our publications.
- The RCM Advisor is published the first month of each quarter exclusively for members. This electronic journal provides members meaningful and relevant content that can help billing companies prosper and succeed in addition to association news, event recaps, and more!
- HBMA members receive our email newsletter, NewsWire, one a week. Each issue provides members with headquarters updates, information on upcoming educational opportunities and association events, industry updates, and more.
- Certification Program
As a volunteer-led organization, HBMA depends on the service and leadership of our members. You can have a direct impact on the future of HBMA and our industry by volunteering for a committee.
- HBMA has eleven committees currently that members are encouraged to join! Volunteers can only be members, and would be committing to a minimum of one hour a month for committee calls and additional time as needed by the committee chair. Check out our committee descriptions on the leadership page to find out which committee you might be interested in participating in!
HBMA gives members access and discounts to industry tools to help your business succeed!
- In 2023, HBMA's Commercial Payor Relations (CPR) Committee committed to working closely with Aetna to help create processes to achieve administrative simplification for Revenue Cycle Management (RCM) companies. To that end, Aetna has released a Aetna Resource Guide exclusively for HBMA and its members.
- HBMA members have access to the latest news from Commercial Payors and Government relations accessible through our News resource page!
- The Document Library allows members to post documents that could be helpful to their fellow members.
- The Commercial Payor Reporting Tool is a web reporting tool for members to utilize when experiencing difficulties with particular issues. The data submitted will be used by the Commercial Payer Relations Committee in communications with payers by documenting significant quantifiable issues in order that HBMA and payers can work collaboratively to solidify reasons for change or improvement on behalf of our membership.
- HBMA conducts large, formal surveys as well as short, quick “snap” polls on salient industry topics and provides the results of these Polls and Surveys directly to our members in the RCM Advisor as well as on our website.
- HBMA provides our Member Value Program exclusively to our members! The MVP Program's purpose is to bring you resources and savings that fit you and your practice.
- HBMA in partnership with ApplicantPool™ provides a mobile friendly, custom branded Job Posting website, application management, and screening system for HBMA members. Additional fees apply for this product.
- The member Newsletter Tool was created to provide an easy way to develop a newsletter for distribution to your clients using up to date content provided by the HBMA. Members have the ability to personalize the newsletter by adding their company logo or header graphic and selecting from three different newsletter templates. These newsletters are generated in PDF format and can be emailed to clients, posted on a webpage, or printed for mail distribution. Additional fees apply for this product.
What are you waiting for?
Get the support you need to advance your career. Join HBMA now!
HBMA understands your business. Now put us to work for you.
If you have any questions about HBMA membership, please call us at 877.640.4262 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.