CHBME CertificationHBMA is committed to the development and delivery of the highest quality educational program in the industry. As the professionals in the third party medical billing industry continue to strive for excellence, HBMA offers the opportunity for its Members to participate in the Certified Healthcare Billing and Management Executive (CHBME) Program, aimed at demonstrating to your peers - and most of all, your current and prospective clients - that you are dedicated to continuing professional education in this fast-changing, challenging industry. This rigorous program not only enhances the healthcare billing and management industry's image within the wider healthcare community, but it also offers HBMA members an additional way to differentiate themselves from other billers, boosting their edge in this increasingly competitive field.
The Certified Healthcare Billing & Management Executive (CHBME) is designed for owners, senior management and compliance professionals of HBMA Member Companies. Participants in the CHBME Program have 3 years to earn the CEU's necessary to re-certify. HBMA offers a variety of educational programs annually that offer credit toward this program. Member's can review their current credits and easily identify what credits are still needed for re-certification by accessing their My CHBME page in their personal account.
Our Certified Healthcare Billing Management Executive certification program encourages excellence within the membership through education and industry awareness. The annual CHBME certification program fee is due by midnight on 12/31/12.
Please click here to login and go to your 'My CHBME' page to renew your CHBME certification.
The Five Curriculum Elements Include:(Click a curriculum element to show the description.)
- Financial Management
- ACCOUNTING PRINCIPLES: Cash vs. Accrual Accounting, General Ledger Reconciliations, Gross vs. Net Profit, EBITDA
- REPORTING: P & L, Balance Sheet, Audits (Internal and External), Internal Reporting Operations
- FUNDING: Borrowing Options, Banking and Cash Management, Retained Earnings, Taxes, Asset Accounting and Depreciation, Leases vs. Buys (different types)
- Legal Operations
- CORPORATE STRUCTURE/BUSINESS TYPE: LLC, S Corporation, C Corporation, Organizational Structure-Function vs. Client
- RISK MANAGEMENT: Contracts (vendor and client), Insurance (General, E & O), Compliance, Disaster Recovery
- HUMAN RESOURCES: Hiring Practices, FTE Ratios and Job Descriptions, Outsourcing vs. In House, Salary/Benefits, Policies and Procedures
- BENCHMARKING: Days in A/R, Collection Rate, Credit Balance, Bad Debt, Trending/Productivity
- THE "4 P's": Pricing Structure, Promotion (Media), Place (Target Markets), Product/Services
- PEOPLE (5th P): Sales Staff, Other customer contact personnel
- WEB SERVICES: Social Networking
- Strategic Planning
- STRATEGIC PLAN: Objectives, Driving Force, Target Markets, Core Competencies, Market Assessment, Products/Services, Financial Planning/Forecasting
- SUCCESSION PLAN: Exit Strategies, How to Manage an Entity, Continuity Planning
- DISASTER PLAN: Operations, Data Protection, Short Term/Long Term, Recovery Plan
- SWOT ANALYSIS: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats
- AUTOMATION: Downloads and Interfaces, Integrated Scanning, Electronic Scanning, OCR, Coding Support Products
- SYSTEM SECURITY: HIPAA/HITECH, Physical Security and Co Location, Intrusion Prevention/Detection, Communications (Email, VPN, etc.), Passwords and other Controls
- APPLICATION SOFTWARE SELECTION: PM/Operating or Billing Software Systems, EMR/EHR, Meaningful Use/PQRI, Connectivity
- COMMUNICATIONS: Voice/Data, Electronic Media
Market Your Professionalism By Demonstrating ExcellenceYou work hard to stay up to date on issues and developments in the billing industry. You can't afford not to - and your clients expect nothing less. Until now, however, there was no recognized way to demonstrate your commitment to ongoing professional education. Now there is.
HBMA's Certified Healthcare Billing & Management Executive, CHBME, Program certifies its participants as professionals who care about their industry and their performance within it.
By documenting your commitment to continuing professional education, the programs demonstrate your dedication to a high standard of service. It also demonstrates to the healthcare community that billers as a group are serious about providing the best, highest level of billing and medical management services possible.
Get Started Today!You can begin demonstrating excellence -- and marketing your professionalism -- right now. Join HBMA and start on the road to certification as a CHBME today! If you are already a member of HBMA, go to your My Account page and from there click on the CHBME Application page. Once your application is processed you will find a link to 'My CHBME' in your 'My Account' area.
We encourage you to visit your My CHBME page often to review the credits earned vs. the credits needed - and note the HBMA Educational Opportunities available to you, identified in each category, to help you maintain your CHBME status.
If you are not a member of HBMA yet, please CLICK HERE to join today!
HBMA CHBME Certification Program - Q & A(Click the question to show the answer.)
Annual Maintenance Fee . . . . . . $150