HBMA Store - Product Detail
Government Audit Alphabet Soup: RAC vs ZPIC and What These Audits Mean for Your Practices
Speaker: Joan Gilhooly, MBA, CPC, CPCO, President/Consultant, Medical Business Resources, LLC
Both of these government audit programs address the issue of improper payments, but how do they differ? In this session, we’ll address the key differences in each of these programs, the implications for billing services and their clients as well as how to stay on top of the process in the event one of these audits is initiated. We’ll address the implications for recoupment and Medicare’s appeal process in the event the provider disagrees with the government’s findings. And we’ll give you pointers on when to “go it alone” vs when to enlist outside help in this classic David vs Goliath confrontation that healthcare providers are facing all over the country.
- At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify the difference between a RAC audit and a ZPIC audit request.
- Describe the difference between and automated RAC review and a complex RAC review
- State where the list of RAC audit topics for each jurisdiction can be found.
- List the recommended “next steps” when one of these audits occurs.
Directions for Viewing File:
After purchasing or registering for this program, if you are a member please visit your 'My Account' page, then click on 'My Downloads' on the left side of the page. All download files you have purchased or registered for should show in this area. Continue with the following instructions.
1. SAVE THIS ZIPPED FILE in a place where you will be able to access it easily - your desktop works best. Please note, depending on the speed of your system, this could take a few minutes.
2. After downloading the zipped file, right click on the zipped file and select "Extract All" to extract the contents completely. You should now see an unzipped folder with all of the contents.
3. Locate your *unzipped* folder and Double-click the HTML file in the unzipped folder. The video should open in your browser window and begin to play after a few seconds. If your browser window doesn't open, right click the HTML file and choose 'Open With' and select a browser from the list.