|Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)|
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response Update
White House and Federal Agencies
- Federal enhanced unemployment benefits are set to expire on September 6th. It is unclear if the White House will extend those benefits due to the Delta variant.
- The Department of Defense will require all members of the U.S. military to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Canada will lift border restrictions for vaccinated Americans. The U.S. is maintaining its border restrictions for Canadian visitors through at least August 21st but is moving towards a phased reopening.
Economy, Vaccine, Testing and Treatment
- Novavax will delay submitting its COVID-19 vaccine for an Emergency Use Authorization from the FDA until the end of 2021.
- Vaccine demand is increasing in states that are severely impacted by the Delta variant.
- NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci expects the COVID-19 vaccines to receive full approval from the FDA in the next few weeks.
- Dr. Fauci confirmed the U.S. is preparing to recommend booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine for immunocompromised people. The recommendation will likely come after the FDA issues full approval for the vaccines.
- Dr. Fauci also expects “a flood” of new COVID-19 vaccine mandates after they receive full FDA approval.
- New research shows that booster shots can carry similar side-effects to the first two doses.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) opposes booster shots in favor of distributing more first doses to under-vaccinated countries.
- Public health officials are having difficulty understanding the full number of breakthrough cases because fewer people are seeking COVID-19 tests. Dr. Fauci urges more people to get tested to track breakthrough cases.
- The country added close to 1 million jobs in July. It is not clear how the Delta variant will impact the next month’s report.
- Similarly, the number of job openings reached 10.1 million in June.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Updates
- The CDC published the following reports and website updates.
- Overall US COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution and Administration Update as of Mon, 09 Aug 2021 06:00:00 EST
- Cases in the U.S.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Reporting Systems
- Healthcare Facilities That Have Implemented COVID-19 Electronic Case Reporting
- Safer Travel Tips for Families with Unvaccinated Children
- COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Country
- Resuming Business Toolkit
- CDC Diagnostic Test for COVID-19
- Early Release: Effectiveness of COVID-19 Vaccines in Preventing Hospitalization Among Adults Aged ≥65 Years, - COVID-NET, 13 States, February-April 2021
- Early Release: Reduced Risk of Reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 After COVID-19 Vaccination - Kentucky, May-June 2021
- New CDC Study: Vaccination Offers Higher Protection than Previous COVID-19 Infection
- What You Need to Know about Variants
- Understanding Variants
- Delta Variant: What We Know About the Science