|Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)|
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Update
White House and Federal Agencies
- President Biden will visit Chicago today to discuss vaccine mandates and recognize airlines that have implemented vaccination requirements.
- The White House announced a $1 billion purchase of at-home COVID-19 testing kits.
- The administration also stated that the U.S. is on track to quadruple the number of at-home testing kits by the end of the year.
- The White House COVID-19 Response Team held a briefing on Wednesday to give updates on COVID-19.
- The White House released a report about the effectiveness of vaccine mandates.
- The Office of Management and Budget released new guidance regarding vaccination exemptions for federal employees.
- The Pentagon announced that all civilians working for the Department of Defense and military services must be vaccinated by November 22.
- The Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) held a listening session to gain feedback on the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) began sending vaccine supplies to North Korea.
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released guidance that protects unvaccinated individuals from being denied coverage, but allows discounts for those that are vaccinated.
- The WHO published the definition of “long Covid.”
Economy, Vaccine, Testing and Treatment
- The FDA received the following requests for authorization this week:
- The FDA authorized emergency use of Labcorp’s combined flu and COVID-19 at-home testing kit.
- The FDA also authorized ACON Laboratories new at-home COVID-19 test.
- HHS released a study showing that vaccines have potentially saved the lives of 39,000 Medicare beneficiaries.
- Research found the Pfizer vaccine to be less effective against the delta variant overtime. It was found to be 53% effective after four months against delta compared to 67% effective after four months against other variants.
- Moderna plans to spend up to $500 million to build a new vaccine factory in Africa.
- A new survey shows that nearly 1 in 5 U.S. healthcare workers have quit their jobs during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- A modeling study predicts that COVID-19 reinfection will become more common under endemic conditions.
- Ellume COVID-19 testing kits, the first FDA authorized at-home kits, have been recalled due to higher-than-anticipated false positive results.
- A study finds over 120,000 children lost a parent or caregiver to COVID-19.
- A new study reveals that COVID-19 is the leading cause of death of police officers.
- A study found drug and alcohol abusers to be more prone to a breakthrough COVID-19 infection.
- A study finds patients with Irritable Bowel Disease have higher incidences of COVID-19.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Updates
- Cases in the U.S.
- Overall US COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution and Administration Update as of Wed, 06 Oct 2021 06:00:00 EST
- Selected Adverse Events Reported after COVID-19 Vaccination
- COVID-19 Vaccines for Older Adults
- The Hidden U.S. COVID-19 Pandemic: Orphaned Children – More than 140,000 U.S. Children Lost a Primary or Secondary Caregiver Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic
- National and State Trends in Anxiety and Depression Severity Scores Among Adults During the COVID-19 Pandemic — United States, 2020–2021