|Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)|
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Update
- A bipartisan group of senators sent a letter to HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra urging HHS to distribute the remaining Provider Relief Fund (PRF) money.
White House and Federal Agencies
- CMS announced it is increasing Medicare reimbursement rates for at-home COVID-19 vaccinations.
- The U.S. Supreme Court overturned the Biden Administration’s targeted eviction ban.
- States have not distributed billions of dollars in rental assistance grant funding that they received from Congress.
- The Department of Education will investigate states that banned school mask mandates as possible civil rights violations of students with disabilities.
- HHS selected contractors who will conduct audits of PRF awards. The audits are expected to begin after September 30th and will initially focus on entities that received over $750,000 in PRF payments.
- The FCC distributed $42 million in funding to help compensate healthcare providers for costs related to adding capabilities for telehealth services.
Economy, Vaccine, Testing and Treatment
- The CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) endorsed the FDA’s decision to provide full approval for the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.
- The FDA extended the shelf life for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine from six to nine months.
- A new study shows the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is both safe and effective.
- CDC Director Rochelle Walensky criticized schools that are not following CDC safety guidelines for in-person learning.
- NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci expressed support for vaccine mandates for all school children once the vaccine is approved for kids under the age of 12.
- The NIH began studying the effects of booster doses in people with autoimmune disease.
- The FDA reauthorized Eli Lilly’s antibody therapy in certain states.
- Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell said the Fed will move “deliberately” as it begins scaling back some of its economic stimulus policies later this year.
- First time unemployment claims increased slightly last week.
- The EU is suggesting that its member countries re-add travel restrictions for U.S. travelers.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Updates
- The CDC published the following reports and website updates:
- Overall US COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution and Administration Update as of Mon, 30 Aug 2021 06:00:00 EST
- Cases in the U.S.
- COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Country
- EARLY RELEASE: COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage Among Adolescents Aged 12-17 Years - United States, December 14, 2020-July 31, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccines for Moderately to Severely Immunocompromised People
- Requirement for Face Masks on Public Transportation Conveyances and at Transportation Hubs
- Mental Health and Substance Use Among Adults with Disabilities During the COVID-19 Pandemic — United States, February–March 2021