|Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)|
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Update
White House and Federal Agencies
- The FDA issued a warning against using a veterinary anti-parasitic drug to treat or prevent COVID-19.
Economy, Vaccine, Testing and Treatment
- The FDA issued a full approval for the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine. Until this point, the vaccine was authorized under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). The FDA is expected to issue a similar approval for the Moderna vaccine in the coming weeks.
- Full FDA approval could lead to more vaccine mandates by businesses, schools and other entities.
- President Biden encouraged employers to require COVID-19 vaccination.
- U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy expressed support for such vaccine mandates.
- The U.S. military announced it is formally requiring vaccinations now that the vaccine has been approved by the FDA.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) is asking for a two-month moratorium on booster doses to prioritize vaccinating underserved areas of the world.
- U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy said the booster doses will not interfere with the U.S.’s commitments to supply vaccines to the rest of the world.
- NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci described how the U.S. is increasing it’s manufacturing capacity to produce vaccines for the rest of the world.
- Some U.S. scientists also criticized the plan for booster doses but for different reasons.
- Preliminary data from a study in Israel shows the booster doses improve protection against infection and severe symptoms.
- CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky does not think annual booster doses will be necessary after receiving a third booster dose.
- Research shows how antibody levels correspond with immunity against COVID-19. This research helped inform the CDC’s decision on booster doses.
- The FDA and CDC are investigating if Moderna’s vaccine is linked to a higher prevalence of the myocarditis heart condition – particularly in male patients under the age of 30. Incidents of myocarditis associated with the vaccine remain rare.
- According to research by the Kaiser Family Foundation, health plans are beginning to phase out their cost-sharing waivers for COVID-19 treatments.
- The CDC only tracks breakthrough infections that result in hospitalization and death. By excluding cases that do not result in hospitalization, the CDC is not maintaining an accurate count of total breakthrough infections.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Updates
- The CDC issued the following reports and website updates.
- Overall US COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution and Administration Update as of Sun, 22 Aug 2021 06:00:00 EST
- Cases in the U.S.
- CDC Offers Health Tips for Back to School During COVID-19
- Delta Variant: What We Know About the Science
- What You Should Know About the Possibility of COVID-19 Illness After Vaccination
- COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shot
- Investigation of Long-Term Effects of Myocarditis after mRNA COVID-19 Vaccination
- International Travel During COVID-19
- Safer Travel Tips for Families with Unvaccinated Children
- When NOT to Travel: Avoid Spreading COVID-19
- Domestic Travel During COVID-19
- Disparities in Excess Mortality Associated with COVID-19 - United States, 2020
- COVID-19 Vaccines for Moderately to Severely Immunocompromised People
- Participate in Outdoor and Indoor Activities