|Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)|
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response Update
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi extended proxy voting for House Members through October 1st.
White House and Federal Agencies
- CMS announced it will cover the newly approved third COVID-19 vaccine dose for Medicare beneficiaries.
- HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra announced he will require the HHS healthcare workforce to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Economy, Vaccine, Testing and Treatment
- The CDC is recommending a third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine for people with immunocompromising conditions. The agency says people with the following conditions should take a third dose:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood.
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system.
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last two years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system.
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome or Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome).
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection.
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response.
- The CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) will meet on August 24th to discuss booster doses for the general population.
- Research shows the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is highly effective at preventing hospitalization and death for the delta variant.
- COVID-19 hospitalizations have increased in many parts of the country due to the delta variant.
- Vaccinations have also increased.
- NIH Director Francis Collins said we have not yet reached a peak as delta variant cases continue to increase.
- The CDC strengthened its recommendation for COVID-19 vaccination during pregnancy.
- This article helps explain the delta variant and how the vaccines work against COVID-19.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Updates
- The CDC issued the following reports and website updates:
- Overall US COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution and Administration Update as of Sun, 15 Aug 2021 06:00:00 EST
- Cases in the U.S.
- COVID-19 Vaccines for Moderately to Severely Immunocompromised People
- Pregnant and Recently Pregnant People
- Key Things to Know About COVID-19 Vaccines
- COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Country
- Media Statement from CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH, on Signing the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ Recommendation for an Additional Dose of an mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine in Moderately to Severely Immunocompromised People
- COVID Data Tracker Recent Updates - 2021-08-12 - New Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) tab shows the number of MIS-C cases in the US by state, time, and demographic categories
- COVID Data Tracker Recent Updates - 2021-08-12 - Vaccination trend lines are now available at the state level on the Daily and Total Trends tab
- COVID Data Tracker Recent Updates - 2021-08-12 - New bivariate map on the Vaccination and Other Outcomes tab displays vaccination by testing percent positivity
- Selected Adverse Events Reported after COVID-19 Vaccination
- How to Select, Wear, and Clean Your Mask
- Social Media Toolkit
- How to Protect Yourself & Others
- Use of COVID-19 Vaccines After Reports of Adverse Events Among Adult Recipients of Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) and mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna): Update from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices - United States, July 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccines Work